[rules-users] single binding for or CE flagged by compiler

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:31:35 EDT 2009

2009/3/16 Edson Tirelli <tirelli at post.com>

>    This is an old discussion. Single binding on "or" is a non-orthogonal
> special case on the language syntax that was introduced in the early days
> when we only had "infix" CEs. When we started to support prefix CE, the
> special case was not updated, and as a result, the single binding works only
> with infix.

The example I've posted is practically identical to Example 7.55, or with
binding. So, if it's not in the language, it'd better not be in the
documentation :-)

As for the individual binding, as in
      (or $t : Trigger(fa == 1)
            $t : Trigger(fa == 2))
the documentation ought to caution against using different names, at least
when these names are used on the RHS.

I agree that or groups with bindings on patterns are tricky. But is the form
that's now accepted by the compiler less error-prone than the one the
compiler refuses?

Wolfgang