[rules-users] Rookie question: best place to locate KnowledgeBase in web application?

ljnelson ljnelson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:13:01 EST 2009

ljnelson wrote:

> My question is: where is the best place to put the various parts, and what
> sort of synchronization do I need to worry about?  I did not see any
> reference to these issues in the (massive, otherwise excellent) Drools
> documentation.

Well, OK, that generated a lot of traffic.  :-)

Talking to myself here, let's expand this out a bit and say: OK, how would
we do this inside a stateless session bean?  I am loathe to write a resource
adapter for Drools.

Given that, and that I'm working with stateless sessions exclusively, I'm
also willing to live with several instances of Drools--i.e. if I create the
engine as an instance variable (or static variable) inside my SLSB, I'm
willing to live with the fact that the container might (probably will)
create several instances of my SLSB, and hence several instances of my rules
engine--they'll all be reading the same rules information so should vend the
same results.

My main question, for the two of you still reading, is around
synchronization: I understand that a StatelessKnowledgeSession is thread
safe, but what about acquiring it?  Where else, if anywhere, will I run into
threading issues?

Thanks,
Laird