[rules-users] How to execute a Process API result?

Scott Stevenson scott.stevenson at datacert.com
Mon Nov 2 14:41:48 EST 2009

I'm trying to execute the result of the Process API and running into
problems most likely stemming from my ignorance. I'm creating a new
process following the sample code from section 3.1.3.2 of the User
Guide. My sample process consists of:
1. StartNode
2. ActionNode that prints Hello World
3. EndNode

What I don't understand is how to get my new process into a
KnowledgeBase and KnowledgeSession for execution. I've tried the
following (Drools 4 method, I believe) as well:

	AbstractRuleBase ruleBase = (AbstractRuleBase)
RuleBaseFactory.newRuleBase();
	ruleBase.addProcess(createProcess());
	InternalWorkingMemory workingMemory = new ReteooWorkingMemory(1,
ruleBase);

workingMemory.startProcess("org.drools.sample.workflow.dynamic");

The result of the previous code is a RuntimeException (unable to execute
Action). Inner exception is null pointer from inside the
ActionNodeInstance class. Where am going wrong in implementing the
Process API?

Thank you,
Scott Stevenson