[rules-users] Hierarchical rules and rules selection

D Brock David_Brock at mentor.com
Wed Nov 4 12:53:07 EST 2009

I need my end user to be able to specify a set of hierchical rules. As a
contrived example, conceptually  we would define rule files called
"Common.drl", "Truck.,drl", "Car.drl", "4-wheel drive.drl",
"Sports-Car.drl".

"4-wheel drive.drl" should include rules from "Truck.drl", which in turn
should rules from "Common.drl".
"Sports-Car.drl" should include rules from "Car.drl", which in turn should
rules from "Common.drl".

Now when a Vehicle object is inserted into memory, based on "class" property
= "4-wheel drive" it would execute against the rules of "4-wheel drive.drl"
and all of it's hierarchically included rules.

Similarly when a Vehicle object is inserted into memory, based on "class"
property = "Sports-Car" it would execute against the rules of
"Sports-Car.drl" and all of it's hierarchically included rules.

Is this possible, and if so how would it be best implemented?  It seems like
there should be an "include" keyword in the DRL language that would include
contents from another DRL file.  But even with this there would be the issue
if selected which rules should be used.

Would appreciate any help you can give....Thanks