[rules-users] MVEL and Maps

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 11:40:22 EST 2009

     Ok, without discussing the merits of using (or not) maps, the reason
you are having problems with dates is that the "string-based" date is syntax
sugar in Drools parser/compiler. Although, when you create expressions using
nested accessors or [] for collection/map element access, drools wraps the
whole thing into an "eval" and delegates to MVEL. We do some transformations
to bridge the gap between drools operators and mvel operators, but I don't
think drools has anything to "transform" the string-based date into
something mvel understands.

     Having said that, we should probably add this functionality to the
"MVELDumper" class for better integration. Would you please open a jira for
that? Also, patches are welcome in case someone would like to help. This is
an isolated part of the code and easy to understand.

    Meanwhile, best you can do is avoid the use of this Map syntax +
string-based dates, or write your expressions directly in a way the mvel
understands (not sure mvel has a special syntax for dates).

    Same explanation for the NPE.

    Edson

 Edson Tirelli
 JBoss Drools Core Development