[rules-users] Decoupling application from rules (Fact Model question)

dbrownell83 dbrownell83 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 9 06:18:28 EST 2009

Hi all,

I am new to drools, and getting Conway's Game of Life into Guvnor, to learn
the system.

I have hit a conceptual block.  I want to decouple the application from the
rules.  So...

There are 2 methods of adding a model:
1. Upload POJO model jar
2. New Declarative model

I don't want to have to re-sync everytime the jar changes, but I don't
understand how anyone would ever use #2.

One first gets the rules/app running on the local machine, for testing.  So
you already have the POJOs (and inherit from it, and use it throughout the
application, as is the case with CellGridImpl).

Then one uploads to Guvnor.  And this is where I am stuck.

The object model (rule imports) are: Cell, CellGrid, Neighbor, Phase,
CellState.

These already exist as POJOs (with the exception of CellGrid, which is not a
POJO, but an interface used to initialise the knowledge session).  So how
does one upload the model, and not have to keep a jar file in sync?

Is one supposed to re-create the POJOs using the guided editor?  (and then
still have to keep your own files in sync with Guvnor's version?)

Regards
Daniel