[rules-users] What is inference and how does it facilitate good rule design and maintenance

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Tue Nov 10 12:30:18 EST 2009

Leonardo Gomes wrote:
> I think I missed something on that post. Just posted a reply.
>
> Cheers,
> Leo.

"In this scenario, aren't we moving logic that would be better expressed
in a declarative form (drl) to facts that are coded in java?"

That facts are coded in java is incidental there use is still very
declarative. Imperative is "how" and often procedural in nature. By
using the inferred fact the de-coupling makes sure it's not procedural,
the age policy rules do not invoke the card issuing rules. Secondly the
encapsulation and the abstraction makes sure the card issuing rules do
not know the "how" someone is an adult, they have just declaratively
been told that they are.