[rules-users] What is inference and how does it facilitate good rule design and maintenance

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 02:51:01 EST 2009

2009/11/11 Mark Proctor <mproctor at codehaus.org>:
> Wolfgang Laun wrote:
>
> And, perhaps, think about adding (relatively) simple things like
> permitting, in DRL
>    import static ...;
>
> you can already do this, but we call it import function. We just haven't
> done the mapping to allow functions to be imported from different
> namespaces, when they are defined in a drl, instead of on a java class.
>
>    final static String foo = ...;
>

> This sounds like you want constants defined? I think we need to think more
> on the whole area of constants, data initialisations and setup etc.

Exactly. Right now, I can import a class and access its static finals, using
Class.FIELD. But occasionally it's more convenient (also for maintenance) to
define them locally.  (Defining a function returning a value is an acceptable
workaround for simple types and String.)

Initialisation: Yes, for instance, the "global" thing is more like a
workaround than a
solution ;-)

-W