[rules-users] Recommended permgen settings for Guvnor

Clint Brown Clint.Brown at ni.com
Thu Oct 22 12:25:55 EDT 2009

Hi,

We're using Drools Guvnor 5.0.1 in a production environment, running on
Oracle's OAS10g 10.1.3.3.0 application server.  We're experiencing permgen
issues, particularly when doing large imports of rules, archiving, or
compilation of rules.

We initially deployed to production with the following permgen settings:
-XX:MaxPermSize=128M -ms128M -mx256M

Following permgen exceptions, we increased the permgen to :
-XX:MaxPermSize=256M -ms128M -mx256M.

This sustained us for a while, but our assets are ever growing, and again
we're exceeding the permgen space allocated.  Can someone recommend
appropriate setting, particularly if you are using Guvnor to this
capacity?  Is there a close correlation to the number of assets within
Guvnor to the memory needed, so that we can project our future memory
requirements?

Assets in Guvnor:
~ 1000 rules in 5 decision tables (.xls) in 5 separate packages
~ 125 technical rules (drl)
~ 5 Guided editor rules

Thanks,
Clint