[rules-users] determining what field changed

Greg Barton greg_barton at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 16 17:22:44 EDT 2009

There is no functional difference between modify and update.  "update" is the new syntax.  See section 3.3.3.1.3 of the expert doc:

https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/drools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/target/docs/drools-expert/html_single/index.html#d0e1264

(scroll down a bit)

As for general suggestions to prevent rule re-firing, there are several options.  The most general is "make your conditions the negation of your action."  In other words, the conditions say "the objects are in state A, and not in state B yet" and state B is what you do to them in the action.  So, to modify your example:

rule "Rule1"
when
      do : DataObject(FieldA > x, fieldB != value);
then
  modify(do.fieldB = value)
end

So something like:

rule "Rule2"
when
      do : DataObject(fieldB == value, fieldC != someValue);
then
  modify(do.fieldC = someValue)
end

rule "Rule3"
when
      do : DataObject(fieldC == someValToMatchForC, do.fieldA != someNewValueForA);
then
  modify(do.fieldA = someNewValueForA)
end

So you're always telling the engine to fire the rule if the objects are in some state, and NOT in the state you're about to put them in.

Another general pattern is to have the objects hold some artificial state (or match them with an object that holds the artificial state) that restricts rule firing to transitions in a certain logical path.  One simple way to do this is to have a String (or preferably an Enum) value in the object that informs the rules what artificial state the object is in.

rule "Rule1"
when
      do : DataObject(FieldA > x, state == "StageA");
then
  do.setFieldB(value);
  do.setStage("StageB");
  update(do);
end

So something like:

rule "Rule2"
when
      do : DataObject(fieldB == value, state == "StageB");
then
  do.setFieldC(someValue)
  do.setStage("StageC");
  update(do);
end

rule "Rule3"
when
      do : DataObject(fieldC == someValToMatchForC, state == "StageC");
then
  do.setFieldA(someNewValueForA);
  do.setStage("StageD");
  update(do);
end

This isn't as restrictive as you might think.

There are also the flow control mechanisms available for rule flow and agenda grouping, but they don't reach down to the object level.  However, mattering on how many conflicting objects you have in memory at once, they can be quite useful for this purpose as well. (Basically, you force the entire engine into limited processing states, instead of individual objects.)