[rules-users] Flow

Kris Verlaenen kris.verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Fri Sep 25 11:18:59 EDT 2009

The whole idea of the pluggable work items is for end users to make it
very easy to create their own node types: simply add a configuration
file that describes the properties of those nodes and register a handler
at runtime to execute it.  They even show up in the palette on the
tooling.  Check out the documentation on domain-specific work items to
get the details.

If you really want to create a completely new type of node, that is
possible as well (the core is just a pluggable generic process engine),
but then you'll need to dig into the details more, as you need to
specify a lot of information if you want it to support all features: a
node definition class, a node instance class (execution), register an
XML handler and persistence handler, and possibly extend the tooling.
But in 99% of the cases, the pluggable work item approach as described
above should be sufficient.

Kris