[rules-users] First experience with Drools 'BPM' ruleflow : some questions

Thierry thierry.lejealle at capgemini.com
Tue Sep 29 04:40:41 EDT 2009

Hi !

I've tried the Drools Ruleflow to implement process.
I found it very nice and wonders if it's still usefull to retain the JBPM
process : if anyone has an objective comparison of the two, I would be
interested. Personaly I think I have a better acces to the workflow control
and logic in Drools. I just miss the possibility to map an ActionClass when I
want to do something requiring many java code lines. Otherwise it seems
overall better.

I still have a few questions for those that are experimented in Drools
Ruleflow.

Is there a way to render the process model more user friendly toward
more 'business' people ? It seems to me I have to build my business model
through JavaBeans, meaning I have to generate get/set methodes and have no
graphical view of my process model. A graphical editor would be very nice.

Is there a way to change a node type (other than XML hacking...) I wanted to
test my process using action nodes. If I want to change them to ruleset or
human task how can I do it ?

Are they tool to facilitate process simulation ?

Are they way to generate Human Task test screen ?

Is it possible to instanciante a process variable in a node ?
I had a 'testIt' variable, type specific Object. I did inject a null instance
at process start. In a action node I tried : testIt = new MyObject(); Still
testIt remains null. I can execute methods on variable, but not instanciate
them ?

Bugs ? As it's my first try I wouldn't report them until sure it's bugs (and
they're not yet reported !)
 - In my first process I just clicked on 'OK' to enter constraints on split
node (I had one on always true, and every other blank). That removed the
process compil error. But generated a null pointer error at run time. I wished
the error would give me the node name. I wished those null pointer error were
detected in the process check phase. The possibility to have 'blank'
constraints just to test other part of the process would be nice.
 - I have a split note with constraints going towards actions node. I realize
one action node is useless and wants to map directly toward the next node in
taht line (to remove the useless action node). Dragging the connection removes
the constraits... Too bad :(
 - I got StackOverflow doing unintentionaly a loop in my process. I wished the
engine would allow a special exit conditions on those case !

Thanks a lot for insights of experienced user !