[rules-users] Using Drools Flow To Build A Web Application

Stephen L stephendevelopment at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 13:54:29 EDT 2010

Can Drools Flow be used to build the structure of a web application similar
to how Spring page flow or Seam jBPM works?

I'm looking to build a Spring MVC web application that does estimation based
on a list of questions and business rules.  The web application will have
one (or more) questions per page.  Each page will have its own html and
javascript to facilitate the visual representation of the question being
asked so I need each node to be a separate page or at least specify unique
view information.

I understand how Drools Expert could be used to specify the business rules.
I even see how it might be possible to build the entire system with rules,
however, I feel I want to define the page order and business logic/rule as
the estimation proceeds.

What I'm not seeing is how to use Flow to specify the structure and flow of
the system in the context of a web application.

How would I start a process from a controller or servlet and then have the
workflow provide the response model and view once the first "page" (workitem
or other node) is hit?

What is the best way to continue the flow with each additional page
submission?  Would I pull the users ksession from their http session, insert
or update facts and then allow the flow to run and respond again with
another "page"?

Thanks for the help,
Stephen