[rules-users] How to use a result of custom defined function in WHEN part?

AleBu aleboo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 12:25:09 EST 2010

Hi,
[offtopic]
Thanks for quick response! It is always nice when project has an active and
friendly community. This is a sign of healthy project itself :)
[/offtopic]
My function was returning a collection. It seems that I made an error in
import of the function. I had some debug, info, etc static methods in the
class and they were imported with import function ...* and it worked, so I
expected that adding public static createCountMap(...) into the same class
will solve it too, but somehow I needed to declare it explicitly.
Also, having the same code in Drools file in function declaration is not
working when I use java 5 syntax, so I just rewrote it with java 1.4 syntax
and it works fine too. If there is such a restriction, then it for sure
missed in official documentation
http://downloads.jboss.com/drools/docs/5.1.1.34858.FINAL/drools-expert/html/ch04.html#d0e3200.
So, that were all my problems were :).
Thanks again for response!
I also can see another approach for solving the problem in the thread, so I
will play with it too - it looks interesting for me. Thinking in the
declarative drools like style requires some brain restructuring. It is like
moving from imperative to functional programming. And speaking of functional
approach - It reminds me about Scala and question here is:
Can Scala be used as one of the dialects in the future? Are there any plans
or thinkings or wishes in the "wish-list" for it? :}