[rules-users] Drools noob queries

davido davido at kainos.com
Tue Feb 2 04:27:12 EST 2010

Drools noob queries

We are examining Drools for use in an insurance company. The scenario under
consideration is underwriting rules. These rules are used in several
processes e.g. quotes, adjustments, renewals etc.

To help us in our assessment I was hoping you may be able to answer/provide
guidance on the “noob” queries towards the end of this mail.

For now we are looking at the Quotes process. Basically we’d like to
replicate the existing process which goes something like this:
1. Check for minimum data requirements to complete process
2. Decide if data will cause an outright decline
3. Decide if data will cause an referral for human review
4. Calculate the premium required for a range of potential options that the
end user will choose from i.e. we calculate several possible premiums

The calculation process is pretty much a linear one. We never revisit any
step once it has been passed through.

In terms of execution the process is stateless. As part of the process there
are look-ups to several large in memory collections. These collections would
not change during execution. There may be several versions of the
collections in memory at any one time (we could be supporting old and new
rates at the same time and choose which to use based on a business date).

Questions
I’m assuming we can use Flow do dictate the execution process?

Can we load the in memory collections and rules just once and keep this
alive 24/7. We are mostly using thread safe singleton Spring beans in the
rest of the app and we’re hoping a similar concept exists in Drools.

What books would you recommend that would best suit our needs?