[rules-users] Natural Language

Amit Kumar amitkumar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 03:21:38 EST 2010

Hi All,

As you might have understood with my so many questions :) I am looking at
the capabilities of Drools and our team is looking at a comparitive analysis
between Drools and ILOG
One of the feature which is greatly desired is natural language editor. So I
am planning to create my own DSL creator "Poor man's version" which will
introspect the class and generate some DSLs for our need.
An old Blog
http://blog.athico.com/2007/03/standards-based-approach-to-natural.html points
to an interesting article. Does anybody knows where this item is in the
roadmap.

Another suggestion I had was on the Roles and Permissions for the users.
There is a option in drools to permit access for a user to a package and
category. It would be good to add Status to the mix so that the novide user
is prevented from moving rules to production. Small change.. big gain :)

Does anybody has a pointer to a demo of drools showing its capabilities. Or
a comparitive analysis with ILOG.

We are able to show lot of good use for the tool.. but the data model we
have is causing us big headaches in writing easily understandable rules.
The scenario is that we have a "lot" of attributes of a fact. And as part of
model extension lot of attributes are constantly added to the fact.
To make this easier so that we do not have to update the model - we have put
a (key value pair) for the attributes.

So the model structure is

MainFact
   mainAttr1 String
   mainAttr2 String
   List additionalAttrs<AdditionalAttributes> = new
ArrayList<AdditionalAttributes>();

AdditionalAttributes
   attrName String
   attrValue String

So now in guided editor or DSl editor it becomes a nightmare to write a
rule.. and our rule writers will beat us up if we ask them to write a rule
like
aa: AdditionalAttributes (attrName == "var1", val : attrValue)
a: MainFact (mainAttr1 == "mainVal", additionalAttrs contains aa)

Any easy solution for this :)

Thanks,
Amit