[rules-users] Some Fusion clarification

djb dbrownell83 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 07:03:04 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying my hand at CEP for fraud detection (analysing incoming claims to
determine whether they are suspicious), and have 2 question/clarifications.

1.
Is the only difference between a fact and an event that an event has a
timestamp/duration?

I have medical claims coming in, and basically, that is my only event type;
say, ClaimReceivedEvent.

Now, I've got my rule engine working, where Claims are facts.  Will I now
just insert my facts as events, and continue as normal, using accumulate and
sliding window syntax?

2.
Most of my rules will have to do with comparing complex variables from the
incoming claims to historical averages.  (I assume this is the main use of
Drools Fusion, in general)

Should I just compute these averages in java and insert them into the WM?

If I want to compare monthly averages, (lets say, this month a provider
claims 50% more than last month), am I meant to calculate this beforehand?
Or, do I use pseudo-time to pump through historical events, all the while
firing rules to update the average, until I have processed all of the
historical data into these running average variables, and then switch to
real-time?

I'm having trouble with this big picture.

Thanks,
Daniel

Thanks,
Daniel