[rules-users] Drools and Guvnor 5.1M2 - Exception being thrown in processChangeSet

Jeffrey Schneller jeffrey.schneller at envisa.com
Wed Jun 30 15:01:46 EDT 2010

I am trying to upgrade to the 5.1M2 build from 5.0.1 and am running into
some issues.  I have installed the new 5.1 Guvnor and imported the rules
from my 5.0.1 Guvnor instance.

I then removed the old 5.0.1 drools jars from my app and replaced them
with the 5.1M2 drools jars.  I was also added all the dependent
libraries.  The code that worked with the 5.0.1 version does not work
with the 5.1M2 version.  In 5.0.1 I was constructing the xml and
streaming it into the applyChangeSet method.  With 5.1M2 I am just
pointing to the change set xml file that is in the Guvnor.

I am seeing a NullPointerException being thrown  in the processChangeSet
method as shown below.

                at
org.drools.agent.impl.KnowledgeAgentImpl.processChangeSet(KnowledgeAgent
Impl.java:171)

                at
org.drools.agent.impl.KnowledgeAgentImpl.applyChangeSet(KnowledgeAgentIm
pl.java:143)

                at
org.drools.agent.impl.KnowledgeAgentImpl.applyChangeSet(KnowledgeAgentIm
pl.java:130)

Did I miss something?  Am I doing something wrong?  Below is the code
that I have.

                 KnowledgeAgentConfiguration kaconf =
KnowledgeAgentFactory.newKnowledgeAgentConfiguration();

                 kaconf.setProperty( "drools.agent.scanDirectories",
"true" );

                 kaconf.setProperty("drools.agent.newInstance",
"false");

ResourceFactory.getResourceChangeScannerService().start();

ResourceFactory.getResourceChangeNotifierService().start();

                String url =
"http://rulerserver/drools-guvnor/org.drools.guvnor.Guvnor/package/my.ru
le.package/LATEST/ChangeSet.xml";

                KnowledgeAgent kagent =
KnowledgeAgentFactory.newKnowledgeAgent( "Configuration", kaconf );

                kagent.setSystemEventListener(new MyDroolsListener());

try {

kagent.applyChangeSet(ResourceFactory.newUrlResource(new URL(url)));
// ERROR IS OCCURING INSIDE OF applyChangeSet

                } catch (MalformedURLException e) {

                                e.printStackTrace();

                }