[rules-users] Query about Drools

Michael Anstis michael.anstis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:12:44 EDT 2010

Hi,

1) Outside of Guvnor rules are normally defined in DRL (text files) or
spreadsheets (Decision Tables). There is an API to load these into
KnowledgeBases at runtime. Behind the covers Guvnor does much the same -
generating DRL from its internal structures that are compiled into
KnowledgeBases to be downloaded. Is XML essential or can DRL suffice? I
believe there is a proprietary XML format however I am uncertain how well
supported this is. I believe the plan is to migrate to RulesML at sometime.

2) You could look at using KnowledgeAgent which supports scanning and
retrieving Knowledge artefacts from a single (central) location. You could
also consider using a distributed cache in which serialisable KnowledgeBases
could be stored. I think there are other users that use Terracotta in a
clustered environment to support Drools but I don't know the detail.

With kind regards,

Mike