[rules-users] Replacement for eval

Nirmal Fernando nirmal070125 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 06:37:31 EST 2010

Hi,

I have two questions.

1) Is there any other way/method in Drools to test the truth value of a
condition other than "eval"?
In almost all rules of my application needs to test conditions, and it takes
ages to run using "eval".

2) Say I have a java method which returns a boolean, and I have used it
within an "eval" function. (eg: eval(message.emptyMessageFinder()) )
This "emptyMessageFinder()" method will return a "boolean" if there's an
empty message. This function is containing many loops and recursive
operations.

Will I get a performance improvement if I alternate the above such that the
"emptyMessageFinder()" method sets a boolean attribute (anyEmptyMessage)
in the Message class to true and false, and I'm using following in my drl.

when
   m: Message()
   m.emptyMessageFinder()
   eval(m.anyEmptyMessage)  //can I use eval here??

If someone can answer these questions it would be a great help!

Thank you in advance!

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal