[rules-users] What should I insert into the working memory?

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 08:12:51 EST 2010

An XML schema just fitting your XML data will frequently not result in a
class
hierarchy that's well suited for writing rules.

One point deals with representing the parent-child relationship, especially
when there are multiple children of a kind, i.e., the parent class contains
List<?>. You have this in XML the natural way; you lose it when you just
insert parents and children.  If extending the XML schema is possible, you
can add another element with minOccurs="0" to the Child complexType of
type Parent and set the reference to the current parent when you walk the
object tree. (You can erase the List<?> in the parent.) This avoids the
frequent use of the "from" clause in conditions.

You may also have to handle repeated occurrences of elements that are
"equal" as objects but appear in full XML text; this is usually simple to
handle
with a temporary Set, but you'll have to add hashCode and equals to the
JAXB generated classes using the code injection plugin.

Inserting just the root element is not advisable, as you are well aware of.

-W