[rules-users] fireUntilHalt and timing of rule activations

Greg Barton greg_barton at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 01:24:13 EDT 2010

Nope, you're not missing anything.  What you need is a control object of some sort thst's inserted after all of the "real" data is inserted. (See attached project for an example.) Rules will look like this, if the control object is called BatchLatch and data objects A:

rule "CountAs"
	dialect "java"
	salience -1
	when
		l : Latch()
		a : A( latch == l )
	then
		retract(a);
		l.incACount();
		System.out.println("Found an A in " + bl);
end

Note that the A object being processed is tied back to the latch.  This is so multiple latches can be processed simultaneously and their processing won't be intermingled.  This is necessary because there's no guarantee that two Latch objects aren't in working memory at once. (Though you could create a rule that enforces this.)

GreG