[rules-users] Rules and process variables...

bob.breitling bob.breitling at rrd.com
Mon Oct 4 17:03:40 EDT 2010

I little bit of a situation (maybe)...

I am trying to access a variable from a ForEach loop in my process.  Here is
the code that seems to be called by the ForEach component:

for (Object o: collection) {
    String variableName = getForEachNode().getVariableName();
    CompositeNodeInstance nodeInstance =
(CompositeNodeInstance)((NodeInstanceContainer)
getNodeInstanceContainer()).getNodeInstance(getForEachSplitNode().getTo().getTo());
    VariableScopeInstance variableScopeInstance = (VariableScopeInstance)
nodeInstance.resolveContextInstance(VariableScope.VARIABLE_SCOPE,
variableName);
    variableScopeInstance.setVariable(variableName, o);
    nodeInstances.add(nodeInstance);
}

If I am understanding this code, the variable in being set in the
nodeInstance context and not the current process context.  I am still
getting null for my ForEach variable.  I followed your example and I get
null. I changed the action to do this instead...

    insert(context.getNodeInstance().getProcessInstance());

but I still get null values.  Its like I am not looking in the correct place
to find the variable.  I have been looking at the JavaDocs and sources to
try and resolve this without much luck.  Could you give me a  nudge in the
right direction?

When I debug the for loop above, the variableScopeInstance toString gives me
     WorkflowProcessInstance1 [processId=StudioSampleListener,state=1]
which looks like my processInstance.  But the variables HashMap is not my
processes' variables, its just the ForEach variable.  It seems the rule is
looking at the process variables.  So its like I have the wrong context.  Is
there another expression the action could use other than context?

Thanks a bunch,

Bob