[rules-users] DRL Functions

Swindells, Thomas TSwindells at nds.com
Wed Oct 13 12:04:08 EDT 2010

I've just been writing what should be a really simple function in my DRL.
What I wanted to do is to take an object in, construct another object from it and then insert both into working memory.
Eg.
function void insertBoth(Object1 object1) {
      insert(new Object2(object1));
      insert(object 1);
}

Rule XYZ
When
Then
                insertBoth(new Object1());
End

This didn't work as expected however as it couldn't find the method insert.
I then thought, ah maybe I need to use the kcontext global to access them

function void insertBoth(Object1 object1) {
      kcontext.insert(new Object2(object1));
      kcontext.insert(object 1);
}

Rule XYZ
When
Then
                insertBoth(new Object1());
End

This doesn't work either so what I've had to do is:

function void insertBoth(KnowledgeContext kcontext, Object1 object1) {
      kcontext.getKnowledgeRuntime().insert(new Object2(object1));
      kcontext.getKnowledgeRuntime().insert(object 1);
}

Rule XYZ
When
Then
                insertBoth(kcontext, new Object1());
End

This is suddenly a lot more complicated than it needs to be.  Why can't functions have the same access to the standard operations (insert, update, retract etc) and globals as rule actions currently do?
Should I raise an issue for this or am I missing something?

Thomas

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster at nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00