[rules-users] Pattern aggregation

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 11:12:56 EDT 2010

Doing s.th. like
   $t1 : Trans( $id : id, $pc : pc, $tt : tt )
   $t2 : Trans( this != $t1, id == $id, pc == $pc, tt < ($tt + 3600) )
is bound to produce poor performanc.

Divide and conquer!

You might start with a Consumer record
   Consumer( $id : id )
   $t1 : Trans( id == $id: , $pc : pc, $tt : tt )
   $t2 : Trans( this != $t1, id == $id, pc == $pc, tt < ($tt + 3600) )

You might run an (external) sort on the Transaction records and
process it in batches of identical id+pc.

If transaction times don't go around the clock, you might sort by
date, and process day by day.

You may have to create a Domain Specific Language for the
non-programmers, putting a firm rein on how they combine the basic
facts. Processing large batches is bound to require skills they just
dont have.

-W