[rules-users] How do I persist at every node transition?

kirakane kirakane at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 13:51:24 EDT 2010

Is there anyway to do persistence in the middle of a synchronous process
perhaps through a custom WorkItem?

My tasks in each node are webservice calls that are not idempotent and can't
be wrapped in a transaction across multiple nodes of the ruleflow.  So, I
really do want persistence at every node transition. I cannot replay the
trigger, re-execute nodes, and get the same result at the end.

I don't understand the reasons for persistence working the way it does but I
need to work around it at this point.

If I have to persist state through an asynchronous process with wait states
I end up with a really awkward code construct.   When all I want to do is
save and continue on in all cases.

Start -> Node A -> Node B -> Wait State Node(On Entry signal "External
Thread") -> ....
"External Thread"  receives signal and triggers knowledge session that it
should continue from Wait State Node.

I would prefer at worst a way of forcing a save at certain points in the
process.

Start -> Node A -> Node B -> Save My State Node -> ....

Is there a way I can do this in Drools5.1.1Final?

Regards,
Lawrence