[rules-users] New project is Drools Engine suitable for it ?

Corneil du Plessis corneil at tsctech.com
Tue Oct 26 09:32:51 EDT 2010

You have to consider the number of users and the frequency of rule changes.

The persistent rules are combined at runtime into a ruleset used by the
engine. Multiple sessions can be executed from a ruleset.

If the User-specific rules are added to a the global rules in such a way
that the criteria identifying the User is part of the matching criteria
for the rule you could have a single ruleset for all users.

There is an overhead to the initialization of rules which means that if
performance is important you would do better to maintain a single
ruleset at runtime.
If the ruleset is invalidated frequently by changes to rules then it
would be better to maintain a ruleset per User and build the ruleset on
demand and cache the ruleset.