[rules-users] Shame on Progress and Savvion

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Thu Sep 2 20:47:20 EDT 2010

  Progress has recently ripped off the Drools community and has offered
nothing in return, not even a curtesy nod of accreditation for our hard
work.. 30% of that 49mill USD would go a long way to helping us invest
in our tooling which would benefit all of us :) and maybe the Drools
team can have it's next team meeting in Hawaii and pay for all the
community members to come too. Cocktails anyone? :)

http://blog.athico.com/2010/09/progress-buy-bridge-in-brooklyn-savvion.html

I'm just having a little bit of fun, at their expense, which is well
deserved for such shockingly bad behaviour. So I would urge anyone else
to join in and have some fun too :) Do your own blogs, polls etc to
bring attention to this.

http://blog.athico.com/2010/09/breaking-news-have-your-vote-on-what.html

And please vote up at Digg and DZone to help raise awareness:
http://www.dzone.com/links/progress_buy_a_bridge_in_brooklyn_savvion_brms_an.html
<http://www.dzone.com/links/progress_buy_a_bridge_in_brooklyn_savvion_brms_an.html>
http://digg.com/news/technology/drools_progress_buy_a_bridge_in_brooklyn_savvion_brms_and_make_del_boy_trotter_proud

Being slightly less tongue in check, this is just the reality of open
source, I've been doing this a long time now and I know you just have to
live with it, take the lumps with the smooth - as long as you get more
smooth than lumps, it's still worthwhile :) At it's best it brings
people together who collaborate and help each other and enrich the
open-source eco system. At it's worst you have organisations such as
Progress executing on predatory amoral tactics. The debate on whether
all corporations are ultimately operating on degrees of amorality is out
of scope for today :) As each year goes buy you start to appreciate Red
Hat more for the sterling work it does in open source. While it would be
nice if Progress got involved and contributed to Drools, the reality is
that this doesn't both me as much as you think it would. It hasn't
lestened the Drools community and technology, we still go from strength
to strength, and I've always been more concerned about what we are doing
and achieving than what someone else may or may not be doing with
regards to taking advantage of our work.

Ultimately this is actually quite flattering and re-affirms the strength
of our technology and the directions we are going. I'd rather have an
organisation using Drools and moving it one step closing to being a
defacto standard, than they partner with someone else or develop yet
another rule engine splintering the market and confusing users. "Drools
Everywhere" has alwas been my moto :)

However that said, anyone who knows me, knows I have a mischievous sense
of humour and if Progress and Savvion aren't even going to at the very
least accredit us then they are fair game and surely myself and the
Drools community deserve a little fun at their expense :)

Mark - The Mischievous Lead