[rules-users] Problem with DroolsFlow transaction

HMandic trbuhom at net.hr
Wed Sep 8 09:57:16 EDT 2010

I have a problem with transaction manager in drools flow (at least I think
so).

I'm running an EJB3 application in Jboss AS 5.1.0GA with Postgres 8.4.4 as
database. I use one schema for my data and another for drools data. The
application itself is also split in two projects, one for my utility classes
that interact with drools and the other for my application that uses those
utility classes.
I'm using the same datasource and transaction type is JTA.

I have an object that holds a reference to processID from drools flow as one
of its fields. When I invoke my method to create that object (in a stateless
session bean), a transaction is opened and it lasts until the end of said
method. But somewhere inside that method I need to invoke
ksession.startProcess(processName, params) and then I get this:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Wrong tx on thread: expected
TransactionImple < ac, BasicAction: -3f57ffd6:dfb:4c878d37:7e status:
ActionStatus.ABORTED >, actual null
   at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.endTransaction(TxPolicy.java:157)
   at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.invokeInOurTx(TxPolicy.java:87)
   at
org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxInterceptor$Required.invoke(TxInterceptor.java:190)
   at
org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:102)
   at
org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPropagationInterceptor.invoke(TxPropagationInterceptor.java:76)
   at
org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:102)
   at org.jboss.ejb3.tx.NullInterceptor.invoke(NullInterceptor.java:42)
   at
org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:102)
   .
   .
   .

Does that mean that I need to run the drools part in a separate thread?
I'm clueless...