[rules-users] Hold the Beans!

Donald Winston satchwinston at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 08:54:25 EDT 2010

I'm reviewing JBoss Rules (Drools) for an application I'm starting to build. It appears that the only way to assert facts is to use the insert(Object) method where the object is a bean using the proper naming conventions for it's properties. There also appears to be a way to use arbitrary objects using globals but do these end up in the fact base? It's disturbing to me that I have to create a bunch of classes whose sole purpose in life is to support the rule base. This is similar to using java server pages and having to create a bunch of classes just to support each page. That's why I don't use java server pages and use xsl transformations instead. I want to use my xml jdom document to represent my data and not have to create a bunch of beans. I can't seem to find anything in the api where I can assert facts without creating my own custom classes. There's no standard Fact class?

I've been also experimenting with Jess and it provides an easy way for me to do this. I just iterate through my jdom document and create Fact objects and assert them. I can then execute the rules and then iterate through the updated fact base using engine.listFacts() and update my jdom document. It couldn't be easier or more natural. Is there an analogous way to do this in Drools?

Thank you very much.