[rules-users] [rules-dev] Technical Rules

Leonardo Gomes leonardo.f.gomes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 16:17:55 EDT 2010

The thing is that, afaik, the DrlParser in itself doesn't give you something
that you can use to generate the BRL XML, even for a well-behaved DRL. You
would have to do some sort of model-to-model transformation that would have
RuleModel as an outcome. With the RuleModel at hand you can easily marshal
it to BRL XML.

There are visitors for the RuleModel that generate BRL XML (quite simple
with XStream) and pure DRL, and when you want to compile a BRL rule package
today, it uses the DRL visitor to generate the DRL that can be used to
compile.

BRL XML: hasn't evolved lately mainly because Mark and the others are
waiting for RuleML to become the canonical XML representation. I think that
the BRL Schema misses a lot of things that you have today in a DRL and
that's why nobody wanted to make the effort to have a DRL -> BRL parser.
This part risk to be completely rewritten the day they decide to use RuleML.

Having said that, I still thing that I might be wrong since I haven't looked
much at the 5.x code except for the parts that I already knew from 4.0.7 :)

Cheers,
Leo.