[rules-users] Guvnor 5.1: Pencil icon not clickable in BRL editor‏

Scott Mayne smayne at webfinancialsolutions.com
Fri Sep 17 14:47:26 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm reading Paul
Browne's "JBoss Drools Business Rules" and in Ch. 5 we make a BRL in the guided
editor. We're using a simple fact model with a single class (Sales) which has
(among others) a field "sales", type long. The book uses an earlier version of
Guvnor so things look a little different but everything's worked so far, until I
use the editor to make a rule that looks like this in "view source":

rule
"SalesDiscount"
  dialect "mvel"
  when
    mySales : Sales( salesValue
: sales >= "100" )
  then
    mySales.setSales( salesValue-10 );

update( mySales );
end

When I try it out, I get this line in the THEN
section

"1.  Modify value of Sales [mySales]             sales [pencil icon] [remove icon]

but neither "sales" nor the pencil icon is clickable, so I can't enter what it should change to. When click view source using what I could do I
get:

rule "SalesDiscount"
  dialect "mvel"
  when
    mySales :
Sales( salesValue : sales >= "100" )
  then
    mySales.setSales(
);
    mySales.setWait( );
    update( mySales );
end

[I added
the "wait" because the modify field dropdown has this as an option but it's not
in the Java class and I'm not sure where it came from.]

Can anyone shed light on this behavior? I'm using the latest version of Firefox, compiling
with GWT/building my own EAR (though I haven't done any code changes) using RAD
7.5.5.1 (based on Eclipse 3.4), and am running Guvnor on
WebSphere.