[rules-users] How does drools loads a modified rule ?

Harshit Bapna hrbapna at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 05:14:46 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I am new to Rule Engine concept. I am investigating the Drools 5.0 to check
if it meets our requirements.

Questions:
1. I am not able to find a resource to learn the syntax of drool rules.
    I have gone through the shopping example in Drools 5.1 examples but not
able to get the basics right.
        $c : Customer()          -- what does this mean ? Is it that all
objects of type Customer in the working memory are matched are taken one by
ones and assigned to c ?
        $d : Discount( customer == $c )               -- Each discount
objects which have the matching customer are assigned to d. How can I debug
this process in eclipse ?

Please provide a resource where I can learn the drl syntax.
Also what are differences in drl when dialect is java and not mvel.

2. How would a rule engine behave when rules are running on the facts and
simultaneously the rules are updated in the knowledge base?