[rules-users] execute particular rules programmatically and dynamically

Michael Anstis michael.anstis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 15:05:07 EDT 2011

Sure, whenever you copy values from your UI to your model for validation you
also enter a fact representing the "context" of the values.

Using your example you have two edit boxes on one screen and your rule
simply checks for the value of a single edit box; in this case the context
differentiates the two.

Walking your example:

(1) When editbox 1 looses focus you copy the value from the dropdown and
edit box 1 into your model, plus you enter a "context" fact stating that
these values relate to that part of the UI (say "screen1.panel1.editbox1").
You then insert these facts into WM and call fireAllRules. The rules check
the "context" and only execute if the values are for the (rule) applicable
context. (2) Editbox 2 works in a similar way, but has a different context
((say "screen1.panel1.editbox2").

Have a look at Plugtree - I believe they're quite well customed to writing
UIs backed with rules; salaboy or esteban (or IRC #drools) might be able to
offer more practical advice.

With kind regards,

Mike