[rules-users] Planner and optional rules

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 08:26:59 EDT 2011

In the examination example some data sets don't use some of the soft
constraints.
Those soft constraint score rules are disabled because they start with a
check on the InstitutionalWeighting singleton:

// Two exams in a row which share students
rule "twoExamsInARow"
     when
         $institutionalWeighting :
InstitutionalWeighting(twoInARowPenality != 0)
         ... // real soft constraints

IIRC, there's no measurable performance cost to this technique.

Op 15-04-11 11:53, ToTToRRo schreef:
> Hello.
>
> I'm working on a planning system and my customer is requesting to use a rule
> engine. Of course, we are gonna use Drools and we are considering planner.
>
> The customer already talked about having hard and soft constraints, however,
> one request of the users is to enable them to inactivate specific
> constraints for some specific one-shot calculation when required.
>
> I've been thinking of using specific RuleFlows in order to not use the
> different constraints selected by the user, but is seems a bit long and
> risky as the number of selectable constraints could be high therefore
> increasing the number of combination (RuleFlows) to write.
>
> Is there any native solution to this issue knowing that performances are in
> the spotlight as well?
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Nico

With kind regards,