[rules-users] Drools server and knowledge agent functionality

Esteban Aliverti esteban.aliverti at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 08:40:17 EDT 2011

Hi.
You can configure a Knowledge Agent in Drools-Server using spring. You have
to declare it in knowledge-services.xml config file. You need to do
something like:

<drools:kagent id="kagent1" kbase="kbase1" new-instance="false">
 <drools:resources>
    <drools:resource  type="DRL"
source="file:/some/path/to/apache-tomcat-7.0.6/webapps/drools-server/WEB-INF/classes/test.drl"/>
            <drools:resource  type="PKG" source="
http://somehost:8080/droolg-guvnor/.../LATEST"/>
         </drools:resources>
</drools:kagent>

For configure the scan interval, you can use:

<drools:resource-change-scanner id="s1" interval="5" />

There are, though, some caveats:

   - If you are deploying drools-server in tomcat, then you can't use
   classpath resources in the kagent. I have reported this problem today.
   - drools-server doesn't start ResourceChangeNotifierService
   nor ResourceChangeScannerService automatically. You need to hack some way to
   invoke ResourceFactory.getResourceChangeNotifierService().start();
   and ResourceFactory.getResourceChangeScannerService().start();. I was
   thinking in a Servlet that calls these methods in its init() method.

Best Regards,

Esteban Aliverti
- Developer @ http://www.plugtree.com
- Blog @ http://ilesteban.wordpress.com