[rules-users] Drools-Guvnor ­ question about build and deploy packages

Patricia Bogoevici patriciabogoevici at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 12:22:17 EDT 2011

Thanks David for your reply.
To clarify: the performance problem is specifically related to the build package. This task takes longer as the package has more and more rules. The build package process is complex, and performs also rule validation. That's why I asked if there is a way to incrementally update the package binary.
The app I am working on, we streamlined the process of creating a new rule, including building and deploying a new snapshot package to propagate the changes quick. Because the build task takes longer (as the package has more and more rules), it is a problem for the end user, as it feels that nothing happens for a while when saves a rule.
Once the new snapshot package is created, the KnowledgeAgent propagates the updates into the app without problems.
So, coming back to the build package task: what is the best strategy to create snapshot packages, so that the build time does not take a long time when there are lots of rules in the package?
One possible solution I see, is to create a snapshot package for each rule within a package, using a custom selector. I haven't tried it, but this approach will keep the build time short. However, it doesn't seem natural to me to have so many snapshot packages...
thanks,Patricia