[rules-users] First Order Logic - METHODS in Drools

Arjun Dhar dhar_ar at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 00:29:00 EDT 2011

According to First order Logic, (from a rule perspective), one can represent
their statements using:
PREDICATES, METHODS, CONNECTORS (including existential quantifiers)

..while PREDICATES can be synonymous with Object and Object expressions; the
only way of using methods  has been via "eval" (AFAIK, as per my outdated
knowledge); and this is discouraged for the fact that evals perhaps dont fit
in the RETE-OO scheme of things.
Please note: By methods I dont bean Bean getter/setters; but work horse
service layer methods.

..however, to be true to FOL, using methods directly should be supported.
Q1) If it is, can one show or state an example?
Q2) If not, for METHODS that return a specific type of Object, cant they be
useful in RETE-OO evaluation?
Q3) I've used "from" for DAO's , conceptually does "from" address this
fully? In FOL (imo) PREDICATES & METHODS can be exchanged freely, not sure
if "from" gives that freedom.

thanks