[rules-users] How to declare an array attribute within an object in a DRL file?

fulton fulton.gee at LMCO.com
Tue Apr 26 17:59:26 EDT 2011

I am currently using Drools Server to accept JSON-formatted insertion
messages from a PHP application.  Within the DRL file, I am currently
declaring the insertion object (let's use Person, for example) using
"Declare", e.g.,

declare Person
  name: String
  address: AddressType
end

declare AddressType

My question is, how do you declare an array object (e.g., "Hobbies") that
can be nested within Person.  I have scanned the Internet (once again!) for
longer than I care to admit and have found no examples for this simple
usage.  I have unsuccessfully tried multiple variations in defining an
array, but have given up.  My current intention is to avoid using externally
defined Java, if possible, and I would like to be able to define the
insertion object within the DRL to enable quick changes in the incoming JSON
format, if necessary (I know this might not be "best practice"!).  Could
someone please provide me with a quick example.

Thanks!  Fulton