[rules-users] Drools 5.2 performance building KnowledgeBase

lhorton LHorton at ABCLegal.com
Wed Aug 10 12:02:23 EDT 2011

I did some benchmarking yesterday and noticed this too.  I also found that
package load time is much slower when using change sets.

originally my drools-spring file looked like this (snippet):

<drools:kagent id="venueKnowledgeAgent" kbase="venueKnowledgeBase"
new-instance="false">
<drools:resources>
<drools:resource type="CHANGE_SET"
source="file:///usr/local/tomcat-rules/webapps/rules/WEB-INF
    /VenueChangeSet.xml"/>
</drools:resources>
</drools:kagent>

and the change set was:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
 <change-set xmlns="http://drools.org/drools-5.0/change-set"
xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xs:schemaLocation="http://drools.org/drools-5.0/change-set
http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/labs/labs/jbossrules/trunk/drools-api/src/main/resources/change-set-1.0.0.xsd">
 <add>
  <resource type="PKG"
source="file:///usr/local/tomcat-rules/webapps/rules/packages/venue" />
  </add>
  </change-set>

when I got rid of the change set, and changed the drools-spring to this:

<drools:kagent id="venueKnowledgeAgent" kbase="venueKnowledgeBase"
new-instance="false">
<drools:resources>
<drools:resource type="PKG"
source="file:///usr/local/tomcat-rules/webapps/rules/packages/venue"/>
</drools:resources>
</drools:kagent>

the packages loaded in half the time.