[rules-users] Drools Queries with relation to the LHS and RHS syntax of the rule

Dibya dibya.tcs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 18:15:40 EDT 2011

I have the below two requirement for Drools implementation.

1. To use a java method(with single argument) of my application class in the
'LHS' of the rule .
2. To pass the object set in 'RHS' of the rule back to my application.

Is it possible to implement point 1 and point 2 as below ?

Example :

Application class is defined as :

//Class for getting various types from my application

package application.custom;

public class Project
{
    public string getStringValue(String name) {
		<Logic of the application>
		return ;
	}
}

//Class 2 for setting the rule result

package application.customresults;

public class ProjectResults
{
    public void setResult(String name) {
		<Logic of the application>

	}}

Drl file like :

package application.rules

#I shall set the object 'projRes'  in my appl using setGlobal
global application.customresults.ProjectResults  projRes ;

import application.custom.Project;

rule "project-1.option1"

when

$proj : application.custom.Project();

eval ($proj.getStringValue("Drools") .equals ("ABC")) # Logic specific to my
application

then
#Requirement is to set and make use of the object 'projRes' in my
application

modify (projRes) {projRes.setResult("Drools project");  }
end

rule "project-1.option2"

when

$proj : application.custom.Project();
$projRes : application.customresults.ProjectResults();

eval ($proj.getStringValue("Java") .equals ("DEF")) # Logic specific to my
application

then
#Requirement is to set and make use of the object 'projRes' in my
application

modify (projRes) {projRes.setResult("Java project");
 }
end

Please let me know if the above way of writing the drl would suffice both
the requirements (or) is there a better way to implement it.

Thanks
Dibya