[rules-users] app-dev 'toe in water' help please

dhartford binarymonk01 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 13:20:10 EDT 2011

Thank you both for the timely replies!

I've gone through parts of the Jboss Rules 5.0 Developer guide and the Jboss
Drools Business Rules (both Packt Publishing), and the documentation on the
Drools website (I think that's the Expert one Frank was talking about).

As Frank gave very concisely in a couple of places (and they were good
points), learning this from an Application development point-of-view, for
me, is a little challenging.   And, a lot of the material starts with rule
creation first...then only partly deals with application integration
sometimes as an after-thought.

I almost want to learn the other way around, this is how you integrate your
app with Drools (Guvnor in my scenario), and then go into how to setup the
rules once you are comfortable with the app integration piece. As an app
developer, I'm more worried of the application impact first rather than
trying to do the rules (and I'm easily distracted while learning the rules
because I'm still worried about the integration).

I'm going through your links Salaboy, thanks, and Franks responses of 'rule
engine does not return decisions, it simply takes facts and modify the facts
until it is done, you need to take the updated facts from there' as well as
the RETE thinking approach (which, yes, a problem with technical people i
think is a valid statement in trying to learn Drools).

If anyone has any more updates or recommendations, please respond I'm all
ears!

-Darren