[rules-users] Planner: Packing items together

JimK jkinneman at triad.rr.com
Wed Aug 17 13:08:42 EDT 2011

Working from the cloud computing example I am modifying it as a learning
exercise that might have real world use for a client. The client makes items
that vary in size and weight. I have built rules to handle the weight and
size constraints to optimize loading of a box.  Planner does a great job of
optimizing loading of the boxes with those rules. The one sticking point is
a sales order line must be packed in the same box or series of boxes. Can’t
quite get my head around how to craft rule(s) to enforce it.

1.	Each order line is a job.
2.	Each job is run complete from start to finish.
3.	Jobs can be manufactured in any sequence.
4.	Weight varies from order line to order line
5.	Thickness varies from order line to order line.
6.	Items on same order line are identical in thickness and weight.
7.	Items are loaded into box as they come off line.
8.	Items from different sales order lines can be packed in the same box.

Rules:
1.	Total thickness of items in box must not exceed depth of box.
2.	Total weight of items in box must not exceed weight capacity of box.
3.	All items on the same order line must be packed in same box or sequential
boxes.

Thickness and weight are not always connected in the same direction. A
thicker item can be heavier or lighter than a thinner item.

Goal: Optimize the sequence that sales order lines come off the
manufacturing line to minimize the number of boxes needed without exceeding
depth or weight limitations of box.

Example:
•	Order line X for Quantity 100

All in one box, OK
Box 1 100
Box 2 0

Started in Box 1, rest in box 2, OK
Box 1 25
Box 2 75
Box 3 0

Spread over multiple sequential boxes, OK
Box 1 25 (could have other sales order lines)
Box 2 50 (box can only contain Line X)
Box 3 25 (could have other sales order lines)

Some in one box, rest in a non-adjacent box, Not Allowed.
Box 1: 25
Box 2: 0 (box has items from other order lines)
Box 3: 75

This looks to be similar to the lecture compactness goal in the examination
problem. I can almost see what needs to be done but can’t quite articulate
it into rule(s) to ensure an order line has been packed sequentially in a
contiguous series of boxes.

Thanks much for any assistance
Jim Kinneman