[rules-users] [guvnor] Formula builder (or freeform drl builder) for Guided Editor (business rule)

dhartford binarymonk01 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 08:41:55 EDT 2011

Hey all,
I'm using only Guvnor for my rule creation and testing to feel-out how well
it would handle being the sole BRMS for the 80% scenarios.  I understand the
Drools IDE definitely has more power and features, but I'm looking at ways
to give Business Analyst/non-coders more access and ability to interact with
rules.

One of the tricky areas I've run into is trying to always look back to the
model to know what fields are accessible when I'm trying to do any
checks/calculations/expressions/formulas using other fields or other models.

Is there something already on the burner for a formula builder where, at the
very least, provide available models and their attributes for use in
calculating a value modification or a WHEN expression?  I see there is an
'expression builder', but that seems to only handle explicit 'field'
{equal|greater|less|not equal} 'field', where I'm looking for a editor pane
(kind of a like a sql builder) where you can see the available models and
fields.

This would also be useful here, but this has to do with web decision tables
and adding the ability to take formulas in their Action:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/GUVNOR-1596

thanks for any feedback,
-Darren