[rules-users] Planner: Packing items together

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 10:41:57 EDT 2011

 From Drools 5.2.0, you probably don't need to use
   eval(callMyFunction())
any more, you can just write it without eval():
   callMyFunction()

Be careful with calling custom functions though (especially those that
contain loops):
if you break delta score evaluation, the performance (and therefore
quality of the result) will suffer greatly.
Do a "stepLimit" benchmark (see class *BenchmarkApp) to verify your
score rules stay fast with and without that extra rule.

Also note that you can use inference:
rule A
   salience 1 // optional
when
   Item for SaleOrder in Box
then
   insertLogical of a SaleOrder-Box combination
end

rule B
when
   accummulate count of (SaleOrder-Box combination) // notice that is
depends on rule A having run first
then
   insertLogical of SOFT of minus count
end

Op 19-08-11 15:06, JimK schreef:
> My question is pretty much a duh! on my part, wasn't thinking about all the
> syntax options in DRL.  Forgot about eval that can call a custom routine.
>
> Thanks,
> JimK
>

> JimK wrote:
>>
>> This looks to be similar to the lecture compactness goal in the
>> examination problem. I can almost see what needs to be done but can’t
>> quite articulate it into rule(s) to ensure an order line has been packed
>> sequentially in a contiguous series of boxes.
>>
>> Thanks much for any assistance
>> Jim Kinneman

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet