[rules-users] Iterative diagnosis - how to determine what is the next best fact?

Kal kalarhan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 18:23:28 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am new to Drools. I read the documentation and I looked at the examples,
but I still not sure how to solve this problem:

1) Kind: iterative diagnosis

Rules:
if (A, B and C) then print ("Solution 1")
if (A, B and not C) then print ("Solution 2")
if (A, D and E) then print ("Solution 3")
and so on...

The entry should be something like this:
* no facts are know
* user answers a question (lets say A = true), I update the Statefull
session and fire the rules
* system chooses a unknow fact based on condition for the best incomplete
rule. In this case, it would be B (as it knows A, but it doesn't know B or
C)
* user answers a new question (B = false), I update the session + fireRules
* system now knows that rule 1 (A, B and C) is not possible. It also knows
that rule 2 (A, B and not C) is not possible. So, it chooses the second
condition on rule 3 (A, D and E), which is: what is D?
* user answers a new question (D = true)
* user answers a new question (E= true)
* system prints: Solution 3!

My big question: can I extract from the working memory or rule manager or
the agenda a list of the rules that are 'almost' good to fire, but that
still requires some of its conditions to be know (by inserting facts)?

Thanks!