[rules-users] Stateless vs Stateful

Rob Fisher rob.fisher.l2gk at statefarm.com
Wed Aug 24 15:40:01 EDT 2011

We have a batch application that will have 50 - 60 rule sets, comprised of 5 - 75 rules each.  We'll run a group of individuals through the rules and potentially qualify them for various awards.   We'll insert 10 facts, each containing a unique set of attributes which will be used in the rule sets to determine potential qualification.  The batch process will insert one individual's data (10 facts) at a time, fire the rules, and return the results.  The data on the objects inserted will remain static.

Also, in the future, we'd like to integrate the rule sets with a 'what if' web application, wherein the individual can modify the input data, fire the rules, and see the results.

Given this, can you recommend whether a Stateful or Stateless knowledge session is more appropriate than the other?  Is one more appropriate for a batch vs online application?

Thanks
Rob