[rules-users] Guvnor - Issues with repository lock on Tomcat re-deployment

Patricia Bogoevici patriciabogoevici at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 10:45:05 EDT 2011

I ran Guvnor 5.1 under Tomcat6. If I am using Tomcat manager to re-deploy Guvnor, I get this error about the repository lock:

Caused by: org.drools.repository.RulesRepositoryException: javax.jcr.RepositoryException: The repository home /MY_SERVER_PATH/guvnor/WEB-INF/classes/repository appears to be already locked by the current process.

To fix the lock error I had to stop Tomcat, upload the new Guvnor war, and start Tomcat. It is pretty inconvenient that one has to restart the whole server, as that would disrupt any other application that is deployed on the same server.
I noticed that another user on this forum mentioned the same repository lock error, but on a WebSphere 7 server. (http://drools.46999.n3.nabble.com/Can-Guvnor-provide-client-management-API-td3283602.html#a3283610)

I also checked the JackRabbit source code, and Wiki, and the documentation says that this error happens when the repository is not properly closed.
Can anyone from the Drools-Guvnor team add more details about this? Is this a JackRabbit issue, or a Drools-Guvnor?

thx,
--Patricia