[rules-users] Error is Java.lang.RuntimeException

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 05:20:10 EDT 2011

2011/8/26 Michael Anstis <michael.anstis at gmail.com>

> hehe.
>
> I don't think we should burden ourselves with handling of every UNICODE
> nuance after all :)
>
> Perhaps a clear warning in the documentation for spreadsheet based decision
> tables alerting the user to the problem of "smart" quotes" would be enough?

There are cells where most variants of double quote (especiall double high-9
or 6) could be silently transformed (especially if there is no U+0022 in
that cell) or cause a warning.

As for data cells, anything is possible. An alternative form for parameter
insertion might solve this problem, and also an option could be considered.

I suspect we have certain assumptions about the code-points of all the
> punctuation in our DRL grammer.

Special characters and digits: yes. Letters for identifiers according to
Java. Not sure whether all variants of "space" are permitted.

It would help a lot if the lexer/parser would add the code point where it
hiccups on a single character. Consider:
   [ERR 101] Line 12:19 no viable alternative at input '' (U+201E)

-W