[rules-users] Is this an appropriate approach

ronalbury ronalbury at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 11:14:06 EST 2011

The issue I have been struggling with is ordering rule evaluation ... which I
realize violates one of the theoretical underpinnings of a rules system.  I
receive all String data.  I wanted to test if the data was well formed (via
regular expressions) prior to testing the semantic values stored in the data
(e.g. numbers, etc).

However, I woke up this morning, smacking my forehead, wondering why I
didn't think of this earlier. Is there any reason I shouldn't run the rules
engine twice - once with a knowledge base containing the regular
expressions, and then (if it passes) run it through a different knowledge
base with the semantic evaluations?